Adding A Bit Of Valentine To Each Day
Valentine’s Day! That romantic occasion
when couples put their difference aside and compromise in order to make the day as perfect as possible. It’s the day when women receive flowers and guys receive kisses—plenty of kisses in return,
if you know what I mean.
As this romantic day rapidly approaches we continue to wreck our minds just to come up with
the perfect gift, the perfect idea, the perfect setting to make the most of this romantic occasion, just to fall back into
our regular ways when it’s all done and over with. But why do we have to
wait until this particular day to express our feelings among one another? Just
as Black History Month, Valentine’s Day should be celebrated every day of the year.
There are many things that you can do to express your love, some days can be as simple as a kiss while others may be
in desperate need of a weekend or, better yet, a week long getaway.
Through some of my personal experiences and those of others I have put together some really
great ideas on how to add a little Valentines magic to your everyday life.
phone call just to say, “I love you” can brighten a dull or stressful moment.
The secret to this one is that you have to really mean it.
2. While packing his/her lunch, (yes, believe it or not, some men are generous enough to do
this) slip a love note inside, some place where he/she will be able to spot it. It’s
sure to keep him/her smiling for the rest of the day.
3. If you are lucky enough to get rid of the kids, prepare a dinner for two (order outs are
fine but be sure to present it on fine china). Dress up in your finest, (don’t
forget the fragrance) set the table with candlelight, fresh flowers and smooth jazz.
Afterwards, she’ll/he’ll be looking forward to dessert.
4. Get exotic with melted chocolates, strawberries, honey, peaches, cream, bananas, cherries
or whatever sets off an aphrodisiac.
5. Place rose petals on the floor, starting from the front door, leading her/him all the way
to the bedroom. On the bed she/he should find a single rose of any color, (red,
yellow or white are my favorites) along with a note expressing just how much she/he means to you.
6. Take a bath together
7. Share an intimate heart to heart on subjects consisting of anything and everything. No gossip or negative conversations allowed.
8. Go out on a date. I’m talking the way
you did when you first met. You remember the time when you would actually dress
up, every single strand of hair in place and the right scent to drive her/him wild.
Be sure to pick up your date on time (don’t be too early or too late, no excuses accepted) and surprise her/him
with a single long stem rose or greeting card on the seat of the car. Take her
to a fancy restaurant, dance the night away, and/or stroll along the beach and watch the sunrise together. Take this time to discover the reason you both fell in love in the first place.
9. Give each other massages as if you were a professional masseur/masseuse. Fragrance oil, pillar candles and soothing music are required.
10. Video or audio tape yourself expressing how much he/she has made a difference in your life. This is perfect for those of you who travel a lot.
11. Poetry is always a way to express your deepest feelings. However, for
those of you who would rather hear the rhymes than write them, good old fashion love letters are the next best thing.
12. Enjoy a night together playing romantic games
13. Pull out the picnic basket, load it with fruits, cheeses and chilled wine and have a night out at the beach.
14. While she/he is in the shower take your finger and write the words, ‘I Love You’ across the bathroom mirror. The steam from the shower will reveal your message as she/he steps out.
15. Have a special gift (flower, chocolates, a nice card, etc.) delivered to her/him for no apparent reason.
16. Develop a web page made up of all the special times you two have shared together and have a friend send the link to
her/him, boy will she/he get a surprise.
Now I know you’re asking the question,
“What about the one’s who doesn’t have that special someone in their lives?” Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to exclude you from having fun.
Take this time to love yourself. That’s right, I’ll say it
again, “Love yourself”! Discover ways on how you can enjoy yourself. Take the time to discover just who you are and what you want (I mean really want)
in a significant other. Don’t sit at home all by yourself wishing you could
have someone special in your life. You got to get out there and expose yourself
to the world, in a decent way, that is. First, treat yourself to a new haircut,
manicure, pedicure, outfit, body products, cologne, whatever tickles your fancy to boost your confidence and then:
1. Round up all your friends and enjoy a fun night on the town
2. Hang out at a favorite restaurant
3. Hit the clubs and dance the lonely heart blues away
4. Treat yourself to a day at the spa
5. Raid the bowling alleys and show off your skills (or what you believe to be skills)
6. Attend a fiction writing or poetry session
7. Comedy clubs are a sure-fire way to lift your spirits
8. Enjoy a movie
10. A day at the museum
11. Art Institute
12. Roller skating rink
13. Take up a class
14. Learn a new hobby
15. Yada. yada. yada., you get the idea.
See, you don’t have to exclude yourself from the joys of
life just because you don’t have that perfect companion to share your world. There’s
tons of activities out there for you to get into. You just have to get out there
and enjoy yourself and before long, your companion will find you. No matter what
the occasion is, we must begin celebrating the love of our family, friends, lover and most of all, self as much as possible. As
always, let God continue to be the head of your life. Have a Happy Valentine’s
Day and never take Black History Month for granted.
May the Lord be with you, until we meet again,